Delicious Chana Curry!
Chana curry has always been a part of Indian meals. However, we haven’t really focused on it’s health benefits. It is an excellent source of fibre and protein. Hence, it helps in detoxification and weight loss.
- 1-2 cup dried black chickpeas/kala chana (soaked overnight or for 8-9 hours)
- 3 cupa water for soaking black chickpeas
- 1 nos medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 4-5 nos garlic cloves/lahsun, finely chopped
- 1-2 nos green chilli/hari mirch, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder or degi mirch
- 1/2 tsp punjabi garam masala or regular garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric/haldi
- pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 tsp oil
- salt as required
Soak the black chickpeas or kala chana overnight or for 8-9 hours
In a pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp of ghee or oil
Add cumin, crackle them and then add finely chopped onions
Saute the onions till they become light golden
Add garlic, green chilli and saute for 15-20 seconds
Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute them till the oil starts leaving from the sides of the onion-tomato masala. Add the turmeric powder, asafoetida, kashmiri red chili powder and saute for 2-3 seconds. Then add the kala chana along with all of the water. Season with salt and stir well
Pressure cook on a medium to high flame for 8-9 whistles or more till the chickpeas are cooked well and softened.
Lastly sprinkle the garam masala and stir. Garnish the kala chana curry with coriander leaves.
Serve the kala chana curry with steamed rice, rotis or chapati.
Serve hot with brown rice or chapatis as you prefer.
Also, try this yummy Vegetable Red Rice Poha Recipe