Want to switch to healthy snacks recipes for your kids and family instead of frying them smileys and chicken nuggets when hunger pangs strike? Opt for brown bread and its health benefits.
But before you pick up a pack of brown bread, be totally aware of the labels that are often too confusing and misleading while buying brown bread which means 100 per cent whole wheat bread.
Always read the label and ingredients carefully while buying brown bread in the market and double check if the bread is made of 100 per cent wheat or has white flour or maida mixed in it.
In case the label and ingredients confirm the presence of white flour in the brown bread, keep it where it was and move on! Choose only bread that says 100 per cent whole wheat bread.
So let us make your healthy snacks recipes even healthier by baking our own brown bread at home. What could get better than that?
How To Make Brown Bread At Home
- 250 gms whole wheat flour
- 10 grams yeast
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Oil as required
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in little warm water.
- In a large bowl combine together whole wheat flour, yeast sugar, salt, butter and sufficient water to make a soft dough.
- Cover with damp cloth and let it rest for fifteen minutes.
- Again knead the dough and shape it into a loaf.
- You can sprinkle sesame seeds or any other seeds like chia, flax seeds or sabja on the loaf .
- Grease the bread tin and put the loaf into it and let it prove for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Bake for ten to twelve minutes.
- Let it cool before slicing it and serving.
With most people opting for brown bread instead of the white ones, here we have 4 interesting and healthy snacks recipes where the main ingredient is brown bread.
1. Air Fried Brown Bread Rolls (A healthy snack recipe)
- 6-8 slices of brown bread
- 2 medium Boiled and peeled potato
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 cup boiled green peas
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil to cook the potato and pea filling
To Make Potato and Pea Stuffing
- Bring together all the ingredients.
- Boil, peel and mash the potatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions and saute until they turn pink.
- To this, add boiled peas and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all the spices.
- Now add the boiled potatoes and chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Keep it aside.
How To Stuff The Brown Bread
- Take water in a bowl.
- Dip the brown bread in water and squeeze out all the water and slightly flatten the bread.
- Keep the potato and pea stuffing in between the flattened brown bread.
- Once you have placed the potato and pea mix into the bread, start rolling the bread so that the stuffing is completely covered and is inside the bread.
- Now place the brown bread rolls in the air fryer and fry them.
- Serve hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
2. Brown Bread Upma
- 6-8 slices of brown bread
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- 2 green chilli
- 1 medium boiled and peeled potato
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add mustard seeds to the pan and when they splutter, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and onion and sauté.
- Add a few curry leaves for extra flavour.
- Chop green chillies.
- Dice the potato into medium cubes.
- Now add green chillies and potato and mix well.
- To this, add turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Cut the brown bread into small pieces and add to the pan.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water.
- Now add salt and mix well.
- Sprinkle the coriander leaves and squeeze in the lemon juice into it.
- Serve hot.
3. Brown Bread Sandwich (An easy and healthy snack recipe)
- 6 brown bread slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 5-6 chopped spring onions
- 5-6 chopped mushrooms
- 1 chopped celery stalk
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- Salt and black pepper powder
- 4 tablespoons grated cheese
- Mustard sauce (optional)
- Take brown bread slices and apply butter and mustard sauce (optional) on one side.Set aside.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil and sauté garlic and spring onions for two minutes.
- Add mushrooms and celery and stir-fry for two minutes. Add red chilli flakes, salt and black pepper powder and sauté for two to three minutes.
- Remove from heat and divide this filling into four portions.
- Put one portion of the filling on one side of a bread slice and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of grated cheese on top and cover it with a slice of buttered bread and serve.
- You can even toast this sandwich as per your choice.
4. Healthy Snacks – Brown Bread Samosa
- 8 brown bread slices
- 1 teaspoon oil for brushing
For The Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup boiled and crushed green peas
- 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dhania powder
- Salt to taste
For the stuffing
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add all the other ingredients.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Keep aside.
To Make The Samosa Crust
- Remove the sides from all the brown bread slices.
- Flatten the brown bread slice using a rolling pin.
- Cut it horizontally into 2 equal portions using a sharp knife.
- Take a portion and join the edges to make a cone and seal it with little water.
- Stuff the cone with ½ tablespoon of the prepared stuffing and apply little water on the edges to seal it.
- Make sure that you do not overstuff them lest they start breaking.
- Do the same with all brown bread slices. Brush all the samosas lightly with oil.
- Place the brown bread samosas on a greased baking tray and bake them at 200-degree Celsius for 10 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Serve hot with green chutney, imli chutney or tomato ketchup.
So try these healthy snacks recipes for your family and friends and let us know how they turned out to be, by leaving us a comment in the comment section below.
Also, for more healthy alternatives for your regular foods, talk to our Possible Nutritionist who will introduce you to a whole world of healthy and nutritious food without you compromising on your palates.
The first consultation is on us. Click here to avail it.