Medically reviewed by Dr. Shunmukha Priya, Ph.D. in Food Science and Nutrition
A lot of silence around and the reason being COVID-19, the cases are increasing by the day in India. We have already completed 21 days of lockdown since last month. With no vaccines yet, all we can do is try more harder and stay home safe
It is the last day of the lockdown ‘Phase-01’. The ‘Phase-02’ of the lockdown is to be till the 3rd of May. Some of us are still not understanding how serious the situation is outside and ignoring most of the concerns given out by the government. It is time you wake up and do your bit.
Although the Phase-01 hasn’t been a great success, let us not ruin the Phase-02. If we get together today, we will see our tomorrow. Also, the future of our younger ones.
With an intention of protecting people from the pandemic ‘The Ministry of AYUSH’ has come up with 4 useful measures. Each one of you can protect yourself and your family practising the same.
As per ‘The Ministry of AYUSH’…
Ayurveda’s Immunity Boosting Measures For Self Care During COVID 19 Crisis
In the wake of the Covid 19 outbreak, entire mankind across the globe is suffering. Enhancing the body’s natural defence system (immunity) plays an important role in maintaining optimum health.
We all know that prevention is better than cure. While there is no medicine for COVID-19 as of now, it will be good to take preventive measures which boost our immunity in these times.
Ayurveda, being the science of life, propagates the gifts of nature in maintaining healthy and happy living. Ayurveda’s extensive knowledge base on preventive care, derives from the concepts of “Dinacharya” – daily regimes and “Ritucharya” – seasonal regimes to maintain healthy life.
It is a plant-based science. The simplicity of awareness about oneself and the harmony everyone can achieve by uplifting and maintaining his or her immunity is emphasized across Ayurveda’s classical scriptures.
The Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) recommends the following self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to respiratory health. These are supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications.
1. General Measures
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry of AYUSH
- Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic) are recommended in cooking.
2. Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
- Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar free Chyavanprash.
- Drink herbal tea / decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
- Golden Milk- Half teaspoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk – once or twice a day.
3. Simple Ayurvedic Procedures:
- Nasal application – Apply sesame oil / coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in morning and evening.
- Oil pulling therapy- Take 1 tablespoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. Do not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day.
4. During dry cough / sore throat:
- Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be practiced once in a day.
- Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar / honey can be taken 2-3 times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
- These measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat. However, it is best to consult doctors if these symptoms persist.
The above measures can be followed to the extent possible as per an individual’s convenience.
These measures are recommended by following eminent Vaidyas from across the Country as they may possibly boost an individual’s immunity against infections.
- Padma Shri Vaidya P R Krishnakumar, Coimbatore
- Padma Bhushan Vaidya Devendra Triguna, Delhi
- Vaidya P M Varier, Kottakkal
- Vaidya Jayant Devpujari, Nagpur
- Vaidya Vinay Velankar, Thane
- Vaidya B S Prasad, Belgaum
- Padma Shri Vaidya Gurdeep Singh, Jamnagar
- Acharya Balkrishna ji, Haridwar
- Vaidya M S Baghel, Jaipur
- Vaidya R B Dwivedi, Hardoi UP
- Vaidya K N Dwivedi, Varanasi
- Vaidya Rakesh Sharma, Chandigarh
- Vaidya Abichal Chattopadhyay, Kolkata
- Vaidya Tanuja Nesari, Delhi
- Vaidya Sanjeev Sharma, Jaipur
- Vaidya Anup Thakar, Jamnagar
Disclaimer: The above advisory does not claim to be treatment for COVID 19.
The current pandemic is largest of all and the whole world is affected to an unimaginable extent. Not just ours but even the most developed nations are affected, in fact, even more than us.
Lakhs of people have lost their lives in the past few months due to the COVID-19. Let us not be among that count, nor our loved ones. Be the soldier staying home, be the fighter following the health advisory. We shall overcome!