This is the high protein version of the vegetable biryani. Eggs, by far, are the most nutritious food yet low in cost. The protein provided by eggs are one of the most bio-available and complete ones (ranking only below breast milk). The yellow of the egg is a storehouse of vitamins (yellow colour means the presence of vitamin A or its precursors), iron, vitamin B12, trace minerals like selenium. The result; egg helps bolster the immune system, lowers the risk of heart disease, and fosters healthy eyesight.
Ingredients to make Egg biryani
- 500 gms Basmati rice, soaked for half an hour
- 4 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 nos garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 8-9 nos green chilies (depending on the hotness you need)
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala & chili powder
- 2 nos bay leaves
- 6 tsp ghee
- 6 nos eggs, hard-boiled
- 1/2 tsp yogurt
- 10 nos cardamom
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- Salt to taste
Steps to make Egg Biryani
- Wash and soak rice for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.
- Blend the ingredients 3 – 7 in a blender until they become a smooth paste.
- Shell the boiled eggs and give four long cuts on the white portion of each egg without separating it.
- In a kadhai, heat ghee. Fry onions until they become golden brown and keep them aside.
- In the same ghee, add the blended paste and fry a little. Then add chili powder, salt, eggs and fry till the eggs get coated with the masala. Remove the eggs and keep them aside.
- To the same masala paste add the drained rice, garam masala, cardamoms, bay leaves and fry till the rice changes its color.
- Add sufficient water and bring to a boil.
- When the air holes appear on the rice surface, reduce heat to low and then add the yogurt, coconut and mix well with rice.
- Cook till all the water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Cut the eggs into halves and garnish with the fried onions.
- Cover the pulao with a heavy lid, reduce heat and allow to cook for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve hot with Raita, Pickles, Pappad.