Try this healthy variant of the delicacy with the goodness of the iron-rich palak in it. Palak kadhi has a unique flavor and appealing color contributed by spinach puree. You could alternatively finely chop the spinach and add to the regular kadhi for a bite and body. Enjoy hot with steamed brown/red rice or multigrain phulkas.
- 3/4 cup low-fat curds (dahi)
- 2 tbsp besan (Bengal gram flour)
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3/4 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/4 tsp grated garlic (lehsun)
- 2 tbsp spinach (palak) purée
- salt to taste
Combine the curds, besan and 2 cups of water in a deep bowl and mix it well using a hand blender till no lumps remain.
Add the ginger-green chilli paste and green paste and mix well. Keep aside.
Heat a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and dry roast for about 30 seconds.
Add the besan-curds mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
Add the sugar, garlic, spinach purée and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
Serve hot garnished with coriander.