Vegetable Oatmeal Upma Recipe
This can be a quick and inexpensive breakfast or dinner dish which can be made in a jiffy.
It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and tastes good with coconut chutney.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 nos onion(diced)
- 1 tbsp carrots (diced)
- 1 tbsp greens peas
- 1 tbsp green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 tsp ginger (chopped)
- 2 nos green chilies (slit open)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 stalks of coriander
- 5 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp split black gram
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- Take a wide frying pan, heat oil and ghee.
- Splutter mustard, split black gram, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion, green chili, ginger and vegetables. Give it a quick sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Now add oats, turmeric powder, chili powder and salt. Mix well and add water.
- Let the oats cook. If you prefer slightly dry version then add only 1 1/2 cups of water, cover and cook until it thickens.
- Once it thickens, switch off and garnish with coriander/cilantro leaves.
- Serve with spicy chutney or pickle on the side.