Medically reviewed by Shanmukha Priya, M.Phil and Ph.D. in Food Science and Nutrition
Acidity is a common ailment caused by wrong eating habits and too much of acidic foods. It happens due to acid backflow in the esophagus. Drinking water, and alkaline foods like milk and coconut help in alleviating the problem.
Does it happens to you that as soon as you eat a certain type of food or eat at wrong times, your throat and chest start to burn and you feel excessively bloated?
If the answer is yes, then you are suffering from acid reflux. While medication relieves symptomatically, you need to make the right changes in your diet and lifestyle to fight this.
Table of contents
- Understanding acidity
- Causes of acidity and gas
- Control of acidity
- Home Remedies for acidity and gas problems
- Dietary control of acidity and gas
- Diet for acidity and gas
- Foods to avoid
Acidity is a common ailment negatively impacting your life. It occurs when the core of your physiology, the digestive system fails to function optimally.
It is a situation when the gastric acids are produced in excess.
Due to backflow of this acid through your esophagus, you suffer a burning feeling in the upper abdomen.
It is also known as acid reflux or heartburn. Gas results from failure to digest food totally and inhalation of air while eating.
Causes of acidity and gas
Many factors trigger the onset of acid. Sometimes due to incomplete digestion of food and action of gut bacteria on it, gas is produced.
The most common causes of gas include:
- Eating spicy fatty fried foods.
- Swallowing food without thoroughly chewing.
- Overeating causing the acids to be pushed up into the esophagus.
- Eating meals just before bedtime.
- Pressure on your stomach causing backflow of acids due to obesity.
- Stress and anxiety.
- Irregular eating habits.
- Gorging on junk food.
- Spending sleepless nights.
- Excessive consumption of tea or coffee.
- Craving for chocolates and other sugary foods.
- Addiction to carbonated drinks.
- Sedentary lifestyle.
Many symptoms that are associated with acidity and gas. The most common include:
- Bitter or sour taste in your mouth.
- Burning sensation in your chest or throat.
- Belching or burping.
- A feeling of pain in your chest.
- Feeling of a lump of food getting stuck in your gullet.
- Loss of appetite.
- Listlessness and lethargy.
- Suffering mood swings with irritability.
- Abnormal weight gain.
Control of acidity
Suffering from acidity and gas is an unpleasant experience.
You need to initiate measures not only to reduce it but also make suitable changes in your diet and lifestyle to ensure that it does not recur.
While medicines and home remedies for gas problem can provide you immediate relief, you require an aim for a long-term remedy.
Negligence may lead you to several other ailments like arthritis, diabetes and cardiac issues.
Weight loss food may reduce it but may not do the same for gas.
The most effective way to fight acidity and gas is to alter your diet, indulge in physical activities and make changes in your lifestyle.
Over the counter medicines that help
1. Usually, medications broadly called antacids are prescribed.
2. Medications called H2 receptor blockers.
3. Medications that inhibit production of hydrogen ions in your body.
Home remedies for acidity and gas problems
You can obtain immediate relief by drinking lots of water.
There are a few home remedies for acidity and gas problems.
The few ingredients easily available in your homes that provide relief from severe bouts of acidity and gas are:
- Basil Leaves: Its carminative property soothes your stomach.
- Fennel: Chewing a few seeds after meals prevent acidity.
- Cinnamon: It is a natural antacid.
- Buttermilk: Presence of lactic acid in it reduces acidity.
- Jaggery: Reduces stomach acid by its alkalinity.
- Cloves: Its carminative property prevents the formation of gas.
- Cumin Seeds: It is a good acid neutralizer.
- Ginger: It has excellent digestive and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cold milk: Other than those who are lactose intolerant, it stabilizes gastric acids.
- Coconut water: It makes your body’s pH alkaline.
- Bananas: It is natural antacid and eases constipation.
Dietary control of acidity and gas
The most effective means to obtain a long-term solution to acidity and gas problem is through a judicious selection of diet. It is also necessary to change your habits suitably.
Your diet must be so designed that you are not short of nutrition, yet encourages weight loss. At the same time, you are able to restore pH balance to alkalinity.
You will thus be able to get rid of stomach gas for good. You should also remember the following cardinal points while eating.
- Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly. This will prevent the formation of excess gas.
- Instead of taking heavy meals, break it into smaller meals spread over the day.
- There should not be long gaps between two meals so that you do not feel starved.
- Have your dinner early much before bedtime.
- Drink plenty of water. There is no better natural cleanser.
Diet for acidity and gas
The idea is to choose your diet in such a way that it helps maintain your pH between 7.0 and 7.5 to make it alkaline.
Generally, the best diet is one that is balanced and will help you lose weight. It should also be alkaline or low-acid in nature.
- Fruits: You can take fresh fruits like melons, mangoes, guavas, and
- Vegetables: Potatoes, carrots, cucumber, broccoli, cabbage, mushrooms, soya beans, tofu and green leafy vegetables like spinach.
- Salads: Different ones without vinegar dressing.
- Honey: It is rich in antioxidants and highly nutritious.
- Dry Fruits: Dates, raisins, and avocado are high-calorie
- Grains: Corn and millets are low-carbohydrate grains that help in losing weight.
- The curd is a great pro-biotic that aids digestion and soothes the stomach.
- Herbal teas help you with weight loss.
- Yoghurt helps you in regulating your digestive system.
Foods to avoid
While it is important to choose your diet that will help you maintain pH balance, it is also as important to know which food to avoid.
Generally, high acid foods are avoided in order to lose excess weight. Similarly, gas-producing foods are a strict no.
You must also remember that if it persists, it will be difficult for you to lose weight. The foods you need to avoid are:
- Excessive Alcohol
- Vegetables and apples like cauliflower and lettuce, which generate gas.
- Packaged fruit juices
- Citrus fruits such as oranges
- Fried and spicy foods
- Cakes, cheese, and pastries.
- Aerated, carbonated and sugary drinks
- Vinegar, pickles and other food additives.
- Processed and packaged foods
Point to note
It is most emphatically raise the quality of life issues.
Since the source of this malady is the digestive system, there is no denying the fact that diet and weight control is the best way to tackle it.
A well-chosen diet is half the battle won. The other half is won by a suitable lifestyle change that assures you a healthy life devoid of acidity and gas problem.