When it comes to weight loss, there is a plethora of research, studies, articles, videos and blogs available to guide you achieve the same. Some of these are oriented to help you lose weight rapidly, while the others guide you towards obtaining a healthy body naturally and gradually.
Table of Content
- All about Surya Namaskar
- Surya Namaskar Calorie Calculator
- Schedule for Surya Namaskar
- Benefits of doing Surya Namaskar
- Weight loss through Surya Namaskar
What method you should adopt simply depends on your weight-loss goal. Although it is not difficult to lose weight in a short period of time, it is generally commanded to shed weight naturally by adapting to a healthy lifestyle, which will be more beneficial in the long term.
This article focuses on enlightening you with the most powerful and healthy way of fitness.
Besides discussing the basic approaches to weight-loss, we will talk about how performing Surya Namaskar for weight loss turns out to be the most effective activity and healthy way.
For sure, till date, we all must have read a lot of articles about weight loss. There are a lot of tips and tricks that can help you achieve your aim.
As we all already know, the most commonly followed healthy cum natural ways to burn calories are as follows:
- Replacing processed food with whole, single-ingredient foods
- Adding more lean protein and reducing carbs in your diet
- Limiting the intake of added sugar
- Drinking plenty of water
- Eating more fruits and vegetables
- Practising slow eating
- Getting good enough sleep
- Following a proper workout routine daily
- Focusing on lifestyle changes
- Practising mindful eating
- Managing stress levels
If you are one of those who doesn’t like hitting the gym or lifting weights but still want to achieve a flexible and fit body, the ancient yogic practice of Surya Namaskar for weight loss is going to be your saviour.
Surya Namaskar, as we all know, has been practised for over many centuries. It has been recognized as one of the most wonderful techniques to make your body fit, flexible and strong.
What is it all about?
Surya Namaskar, also known as Sun Salutation, is a common sequence of 12 body postures or asanas. These postures range from flexing and bending to stretching the muscles, while continually breathing in and out rhythmically. It is a complete body workout in itself.
Yoga experts call it the base of Power Yoga as it aims at achieving more health benefits in less time. One round of Surya Namaskar consists of 12 yoga poses. One set consists of two rounds of Sun Salutations, where you stretch your right side of the body first and then the left one.
Doing Surya Namaskar not only acts as a cardio workout but also strengthen the immunity and calms the body and mind. Besides health benefits, Surya Namaskar also acts as a medium to pay our gratitude to God of Sun .
Below mentioned are some points to keep in mind, if you plan to take up this Surya Namaskar for weight loss.
- The ideal time to practice Surya Namaskar is during the early morning, on an empty stomach. Also, this should be performed facing the rising sun.
- Keep an interval of a minimum of two hours between eating and performing the Namaskar.
- It is very important to perform all the asanas correctly. Take your time to learn all the poses properly and you will see yourself doing it perfectly in less than two weeks,
- Increase the number of rounds once you have built enough strength.
- End your practice with five minutes of stretching exercises or relaxation poses such as Shavasana.
Surya Namaskar Calorie Calculator
One round of Surya Namaskar burns up to 13.90 calories for an average weighing person. Take a look at the 30-minute workout calorie meter for Surya Namaskar as compared to the other exercises.
- Bicycling (14-15.9 mph) : 331 calories
- Rock Climbing : 364 calories
- Running (7.5 mph) : 414 calories
- Surya Namaskar : 417 calories
According to a research report published by MR Medical College, India in the Asian Journal of Sports Medicine, 49 men and 30 women lost an incredible amount of weight without going on a diet, simply by completing 12 rounds of Surya Namaskar for weight loss in a day for 6 days a week .
How to design your practice schedule for Surya Namaskar?
Considering one round of Surya Namaskar takes about 3.5-4 minutes, you need to set aside at least 40 minutes, 6 days a week. If you have trouble maintaining motivation, try practising it while listening to some relaxing music.
Set your target and slowly increase the number of rounds to 108. By the time you reach this number, you will find a leaner you.
Health Benefits of doing Surya Namaskar
Apart from aiding your weight-loss aim, Surya Namaskar has a lot of other health benefits too.
- Improves muscle flexibility
- Boosts respiratory capacity
- Improves cardiovascular functioning
- Stimulates digestive system
- Relieves from mental strain, stress and anxiety
- Strengthens the quadriceps, back and upper body
Success stories of weight loss through Surya Namaskar
The Internet is already flooded with abundant weight loss stories to inspire you to start your journey. Kareena Kapoor Khan, Sonam Kapoor, Alia Bhatt and Zareen Khan are a few Bollywood celebrities that swear by this natural way to weight loss.
While these are successful weight loss cases, you will also find some stories where people are performing Surya Namaskar to maintain a healthy & fit mind and body.
Needless to mention, Shilpa Shetty Kundra and Baba Ram Dev are the biggest advocates of Surya Namaskar that we can relate to.
Besides these popular success stories, you will be surprised to find so many people around you who claim to have lost weight by a regular commitment to performing Surya Namaskar.
To sum it all up, Surya Namaskar is a great way to exercise the entire body while feeling grateful to our revered life force, the Sun.
All you need to do is, get onto your yoga mat, flow gracefully from one yoga pose to another, keep smiling and enjoy the stretches.
To get a holistic idea about weight loss through exercise, book an appointment with our Nutritionists today! Avail your first consultation absolutely FREE!
Q. How many times should a beginner do Surya Namaskar?
A. 12 sets of surya namaskar are considered ideal but beginners may start with 2-4 rounds. The speed may vary with slow speed for muscle toning and flexibility and fast pace for strong cardio workout.
Q. What are the benefits of doing Surya Namaskar?
A. There are numerous benefits including body flexibility, muscle strengthening and toning, GI tract toning, improving blood circulation, immunity building and reducing menstrual cramps.
Q. How many calories will I burn by performing Surya Namaskar?
A. One round of Surya Namaskar helps you burn around 13.9 calories and then the total calories burnt depends on the number of rounds you perform this power yoga.