As I picked up my morning tea before taking the ensuing day head on, I saw my mother eyeing a glossy iced donut kept on the dining table.
But before she could grab those utterly tempting baked goods, I reminded her of her Diabetes and that these high on sugar food hold no nutritional value for her, and that they could prove to be hazardous for her health.
Table of content
- Ayurved for Diabetes
- What does Diabetes Mean in Ayurveda?
- Ayurvedic Diabetes Treatment
- Diet & Lifestyle For Diabetes
- Home Remedies to Control Diabetes
- Include Yoga In Your Lifestyle
Though my mother controlled her sugar cravings by grabbing an apple instead, I was really sad about how all diabetics have to hold their sweet tooth urges.
The incident made me realize that I should look deep into the matter and start my research on what exactly diabetes is. Is it more than a health issue or is it becoming both a mental and social issue to understand?
Did You Know?
While I continued my research, I was surprised to know that India is one of the 6 countries of the IDF SEA region. 425 million people have diabetes in the world and 82 million people in the SEA Region; by 2045 this will rise to 151 million. There were over 72 million cases of diabetes in India in 2017.
Ayurveda For Diabetes
It came as no surprise to me that people are tasking help of Ayurveda to cure diabetics, the reason being that people are switching to more natural options to control such lifestyle disease problems.
What does Diabetes Mean in Ayurveda?
Ayurveda does not regard Diabetes as a disease that can be treated by mere medicine or by a dietary regimen.
Madhumeha is classified as a Maha Rog (Major Disease) because, if not treated on time, it can lead to several complications in the body, including eye problems, joint pains, impotence, kidney failure, sexual and urologic problems, and more.
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder and it cannot be merely treated by controlling sugar levels. The treatment recommended in Ayurveda – as against modern medicine is aimed at rejuvenating the body to not only balance sugar levels, but also ensuring that no further complications are caused.
Ayurvedic Diabetes Treatment
Based on consultation, Ayurveda diabetic treatment is a combination of personalized medication, dietary and lifestyle recommendations.
- Ayurveda identifies the root cause of diabetes and provides customized treatment according to the problem.
- Ayurveda does not recommend a single solution medication but a wholesome treatment solution uniquely formulated for patients.
- It focuses on reducing the current medicine dosage and then helps in managing through different Ayurvedic treatments.
- Ayurvedic treatments are comparatively safe with no side effects or further health complications.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Diabetes
Treatment of Diabetes in Ayurveda will vary for type one and type two Diabetes patients. Different treatments have to be given to early diabetes patients and to those whose organs have been affected. Proper medication along with a healthy diet and exercise is inevitable for both types of patients.
The first phase of Ayurveda treatment for diabetes is known as Shodhana, which will remove the bad fat that gets concentrated in the cells.
The treatment Thakradhara with medicinal whey is found effective in reducing the weakness of body and itching. Besides, it would also help to reduce taking insulin. Njavarakkizhi is effective for diabetes patients who have lost weight and Udharthana treatment is effective for heavyweight patients.
Regular Abhyagasnanam, bathing with herbal medicinal oils, is effective for eyes, skin and bones. Proper diet and lifestyle decisions help in balancing blood sugar and the result of treatment shows quickly. It also prevents or decreases the risk of complications.
Diet & Lifestyle Recommendations And Simple Home Remedies For Diabetes
Diet & Lifestyle Recommendations
- Include whole grains in the diet, such as wheat bread/pasta and brown rice.
- Cheese and yogurt prepared with skimmed (nonfat) milk may be taken.
- Use garlic, onion, bitter gourd, spinach, raw banana, and black plum.
- Make a flour mixture of 1 part barley, 1 part black chickpeas, and 4 parts whole-wheat flour and use this to form pancakes and bread.
- Avoid sweet fruits like pineapple, grapes, mangoes, etc.
- Avoid sweet, sour, and salty foods, potatoes, sweet potatoes, colocasia (taro), yams, fresh grains and pulses (legumes), whole yogurt (high in fat), and heavy, oily and spicy foods.
- Start doing some light exercise, such as brisk walking. Build up to a brisk walk of 30-40 minutes in the morning and again in the evening.
- Avoid sleeping in the daytime as it increases Kledaka Kapha.
Simple Home Remedies to Control Diabetes
- Dry the leaves of a mango tree and grind to a powder. Mix 1 teaspoon dry powder in a glass of water and drink it daily to reduce high blood sugar levels.
- Take 2 teaspoons of bitter gourd (karela) juice once a day. One can also increase its use as a cooked vegetable.
- Take 1 teaspoon of Indian gooseberry (amla) juice mixed with 1 teaspoon of bitter gourd juice twice a day.
Include Yoga In Your Lifestyle To Control Diabetes
Yoga helps in controlling diabetes. This is mainly because Yoga keeps a check on the causes of Diabetes. Stress and obesity are the main causes that can lead to Diabetes.
Regular Yoga practice with meditation reduces stress and slows down the fat accumulation in the body. Pranayam, Surya Namaskar, Balasana, Vajrasana, Sarvangasana, Halasana, Dhanurasana are few of the postures that are effective for Diabetes.
For more information on Diabetes, its related health risks and ways to control it through diet and improved lifestyle, keep following Possible’s blog section.
Also, you could get in touch with our Possible Nutritionist for guidance on healthy lifestyle and fitness. The first consultation is on us. Click here to avail!