Remember how you were recommended to have Vitamin C tablets when you felt under the weather? Or had a runny nose?
It’s because Vitamin C is one of the most versatile vitamins out there and is credited for boosting our immune system. Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid has a diverse range of benefits to offer to the human body. From strengthening your immunity to preventing heart, eye, and skin problems, this benevolent vitamin can do it all.
In this article, let’s understand why Vitamin C is important for your body and how can you maintain a healthy balance of Vitamin C in your body.
Why is Vitamin C important for your Immune System?
Vitamin C is rich in antioxidants and has the power to neutralize harmful radicals in your body that can cause cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and many other chronic diseases. It aids the body in fighting disease-causing germs and improves the body’s healing power as well.
The benefits of Vitamin C are not limited to only this.
Let’s explore 9 reasons why Vitamin C is important for your body:
- Boosts collagen synthesis: Collagen, often known as the skin’s anti-ageing component, is a protein that plays a vital role in connective tissues that run throughout the body. Studies have shown that proper intake of Vitamin C boosts collagen production which in turn benefits the skin. That is why cosmetic brands develop Vitamin C infused products like serums for the skin.
- Reduces blood uric acid levels: Studies and experiments have shown that consistent intake of Vitamin C results in a significant drop in uric acid levels in the blood. This helps in reducing the risks of arthritis and particularly gout, which is a painful arthritic condition caused by high blood uric acid levels.
- Prevents iron deficiency: Apart from the many benefits of its own, Vitamin C also helps the body in absorbing the iron that is released from plant-based food, mainly green and leafy vegetables, and thereby may prevent iron deficiency in the body and diseases like anemia.
- Enhances memory: Vitamin C has also been proven beneficial in enhancing neurotransmission which means it stimulates the process by which the brain sends and receives signals from the rest of the body. The result is enhanced brain function and prevents age-related memory loss.
- Boosts immunity: Vitamin C is a well-known immunity booster. Proper intake of Vitamin C in the daily diet can significantly help in improving the body’s disease-fighting power. This explains why Vitamin C tablets are one of the go-to remedies for the common cold and flu. Although it doesn’t necessarily cure them, it does help the body to fortify itself against such miscellaneous disease-causing germs.
- Prevents chronic diseases: Vitamin C contains antioxidant properties that help prevent chronic diseases like heart diseases, and high blood pressure and may reduce the chances of certain types of cancer, etc.
- Good for the eyes: The antioxidant-rich and collagen-enhancing properties of Vitamin C also make it good for maintaining eye health. Evidently, Vitamin C helps in preventing cataracts and other similar eye diseases.
- Improves healing process: The healing power of Vitamin C is widely known. Since it aids in the production of collagen in the body and is also rich in antioxidants, Vitamin C boosts the wound healing process and prevents permanent scars on the skin.
- Aids cancer treatment: Vitamin C is also found to be beneficial in the treatment of certain types of cancer. A 2019 study, published in Anticancer Research has shown that high doses of Vitamin C when given along with conventional anti-cancer medicines boost the treatment of breast cancer.
- Improves gum health (bonus tip): Vitamin C keeps your tissues strong and keeps your gums healthy. It prevents gum bleeding and also holds your teeth in place.
Why Should You Take Vitamin C Everyday?
Vitamin C is a vital micronutrient and maintaining a healthy balance of Vitamin C is very important. Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin which implies that it gets dissolved in water and is carried to all the tissues in your body.
Sadly, the human body is incapable of creating or storing this beneficial vitamin. So, it is important for you to incorporate Vitamin C-rich foods into your daily diet.
Check out this video to know more about how vitamins strengthen your immune system from below.
Vitamin C Rich Foods to Take
Here’s a list of edibles that can satiate your body’s Vitamin C needs:
- Bell pepper
- Brussel sprouts
A balanced diet is usually enough to fulfill the body’s Vitamin C requirements. If there’s a suspected deficiency, one can take Vitamin C supplements.
Tip to remember: Foods containing Vitamin C should not be overcooked as heat may destroy its nutritional value.
Try this quick iron and vitamin C booster smoothie recipe!
What Happens If You Don’t Take Enough Vitamin C?
A deficiency of Vitamin C can be diagnosed through various signs and symptoms. Some of the signs of Vitamin C deficiency can be :
- Skin issues
- Poor healing
- Poor gum health
- Frequent cold and flu
- Poor iron levels since Vitamin C is needed for the absorption of iron
Vitamin C Supplements
In case you witness some of the signs of Vitamin C deficiency, it is recommended to get yourself tested and start taking supplements if advised. Vitamin C tablets and supplements are easily available.
Possible has developed a wide range of supplements as well. Shop Possible’s Vitamin C supplements now!
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s go through some of the frequently asked questions from below:
Q. Why is Vitamin C so important for the body?
A. Vitamin C has multifaceted benefits for the body. It strengthens immunity, improves healing, and also prevents chronic diseases.
Q. Should you take Vitamin C everyday?
A. Since the body can’t store Vitamin C, it is recommended to include Vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables in your daily meals.
Q. Is Vitamin C good for the skin?
A. Yes, it increases collagen production which makes the skin healthy and younger-looking.
Q. Can Vitamin C prevent colds?
A. Taking an adequate amount of vitamin c improves the immune system which will shield your body from diseases like the common cold.
Q. How much Vitamin C is needed in a day?
A. According to our expert nutritionist, an average adult can consume 80 to 100 milligrams of Vitamin C daily. This dosage can be increased according to your specific condition. For instance, severe infections like TB require a higher dose of Vitamin C.