Whenever we think of summer, we automatically picture vacation plans, comfortable sundresses, ice-cold drinks, and lazy afternoons. What we tend to forget is the possibility of summer weight gain. Yes, it’s a thing.
This leisurely season often tempts us to let loose and indulge in unhealthy activities in the name of fun. The consequences, however, are not as fun. If you’ve been on a weight loss plan, it’s won’t be wise to throw away all your previous efforts and feast on a bucket of ice cream.
Stick to your previous routine, or better, give yourself a new summer weight loss routine!
How to Avoid Unwanted Weight Gain in Summer?
While summer may be a season of temptations, it is not impossible to resist them. Just a few conscious decisions can keep you on your weight-loss track, or help you avoid gaining extra kilos during summer.
Here are 10 tips that will help you ward off unwanted summer weight gain:
1. Stick to a routine: Although summer is a leisurely time of the year, sticking to a routine every single day keeps your body’s biological clock from getting disrupted. Waking up, eating, and sleeping at the same time every day is the first step toward preventing weight gain in summer.
2. Be careful what you eat: Switch your diet from simple carbs to complex carbs. Complex carbs in basically unprocessed, high fibre food like whole grains, brown rice, oats and more. Also, add a portion of protein to your daily diet as it will support a healthy metabolism. Keep salty, processed and preserved food at bay to avoid weight gain from logged water in between cells.
3. Stay high on water: We cannot stress enough how important it is to stay hydrated during the summer. Drinking an adequate amount of water will help your body cope with the daily water loss, sustain metabolism, and also keep the body cool in the scorching summer heat. Not just for weight loss purposes, staying hydrated is always important!
4. Switch to healthy snacking: Snacking won’t be detrimental to your summer weight loss goals if you choose your snacks wisely. Upgrade your menu to a healthy one. Fresh summer fruits, plain yoghurt, freshly squeezed fruit juice, lemonade with honey, etc. make the best assortment of summer fruits to quell your snacking appetite. But do choose fruits with a low glycemic Index to keep you in shape.
Check out more super healthy summer snack ideas.
5. Limit alcoholic beverages: Vacation mood means cold fancy drinks, mostly alcoholic beverages, for adults we mean. But what we overlook is these drinks contain a whopping calorie count that can ruin your weight loss goals. Also, alcohol takes away your inhibitions and makes you keep munching on unhealthy snacks. This further increases your calorie intake to crazy heights.
Try out this awesome vegetable juice recipe to quench your thirst this summer!
6. Cut back screen time: As summer approaches, we tend to spend more time sprawled on the couch scrolling through Netflix. While this increased screen time has its own negative effects on the body, it also encourages mindless snacking which is enough to gain a few inches around the waist. Spend less time staring at screens, indulge in more labour-intensive activities, and practice mindful eating.
7. Don’t ditch exercise: It is important to stick to your daily exercise routine even in the summer. If the heat is sabotaging your outdoor activities, do some free-hand workout side. Don’t let the summer vibe make you lethargic. Give your body a good stretch every day for at least 15 – 30 mins and keep summer weight gain at bay.
8. Evade the sweet treats: While it does taste divine, sugar is not your body’s friend. Avoid indulging in sweet treats, and also refrain from adding sugar to your regular meals. Even soft drinks contain high amounts of sugar. Drinking one glass of cola can spike your calorie intake. So steer clear of those too!
9. Stay busy: Keep yourself busy during the summer. Stay active and spend quality time with family and friends. Take your pet for a run, and engage in some kind of outdoor sport with your family members. This will improve both your physical and mental well-being.
10. No ice cream/ frozen yoghurt: Ice cream is the go-to summertime dessert but its high calorie, saturated fat, and sugar content make it one of the biggest enemies of your weight loss goals. Even frozen yoghurt isn’t as healthy as it claims. In fact, it’s far from it. Frozen yoghurt is huge on added sugar and its calorie count often exceeds those of ice cream. Resist the temptation of having ice cream frequently during summer to keep your weight from going haywire.
Bonus Summer Weight Loss Tips:
- Avoid simple carbs and replace them with complex carbs.
- Avoid foods that are devoid of fibre.
- Always add protein to your daily diet.
- Avoid salty and preserved foods to avoid water retention.
- Avoid food containing saturated and trans fats
- Avoid high GI fruits like mangoes, jackfruits, etc to avoid weight gain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can I lose weight fast in summer?
A. There is no shortcut to losing weight. Sticking to your usual weight loss strategies like eating healthy, drinking enough water, and staying active will help you lose weight consistently.
Q. Why is it harder to lose weight in the summer?
A. The body goes through heavy water loss during the summer which impacts metabolism. Also, summer is a season of indulgences that keeps you from losing weight. Drink plenty of water and avoid high-calorie treats.
Q. Does sweating burn more calories?
A. Sweating in the heat does not mean you are burning calories or fat. It is the body’s process of cooling it down.
Q. Is summer the best time to lose weight?
A. The summer heat makes people eat lighter and drink more water. This can help in the weight loss process significantly. Also Read| why weight loss in summer is easy!
Q. Why do I get fat in summer?
A. Consuming high-calorie treats like ice cream and sugary drinks can lead to weight gain during summer. Avoid these to keep your weight in check.
Q. What foods to avoid for weight loss?
A. Any food that has high calorie and saturated fat content should be avoided in order to lose weight. Avoid indulging in junk food and heavy desserts.
Q. Does hot weather make you gain weight?
A. It can be a possibility due to water retention. Due to excessive heat, water gets trapped in between cells with no way of flushing out. This happens mainly because of electrolyte imbalance. To prevent this, intake of salt needs to be checked and if water retention is found diuretics can be added.